Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Saturday Morning Baking




For a Celebration of Life
Sweets for the sweet
To pay the Ferryman
A place to Honour the life of a friend

An almost full Moon
This day of Celebration
I will hold all Friends this day

For some are old and some are new
It doesn't change that they be
Friend
Someone that will hold and soothe
An aching Heart
To tell me when I'm out of line
And love me none the less
I know I can count on you
I hope you count on me

I love you dear
My Amazing friend
Know always I hold you dear
Even when I might forget
To say
Thank you for being
My friend.



Blue Corn Biscotti

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup stone-ground blue cornmeal
3 tablespoons stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup pinon nuts – lightly toasted or pecans

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Assemble your ingredients.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the flour, sugar, blue and yellow cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.With the mixer set at its lowest speed, add the butter to the dry ingredients, a little at a time, beating until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir the liqueur into the dough until incorporated. Stir in the nuts until the dough is thoroughly blended and holds together in a ball.Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and gently press to form a log measuring approximately 3 inches wide, 1 1/2 inches high, and 10 inches long. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 2 hours or for as long as 8 hours.
Before second baking, reheat the oven to 350°F.
Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the log crosswise into 1/3-inch thick slices. Lay the slices on the same parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges but still slightly soft in the middle. For more even baking, turn the biscotti over after 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet.

Though this piece was written in 2006 before some of us gathered to honour our friend Ronette, it is no less important to me today. Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment